Company: Marriott International
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Posting Date Apr 07, 2021
Job Number 21029992
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location The Westin Maui Resort & Spa Ka'anapali, 2365 Kaanapali
Pkwy, Lahaina, Hawaii, United States VIEW ON MAP
Brand Westin Hotels & Resorts
Position Type Management
Located Remotely? N
At Westin, we are committed to empowering the well-being of our
guests by providing a refreshing environment, thoughtful amenities,
and revitalizing programming to help ensure that they leave feeling
better than when they arrived. We recognize that travel can be
disruptive to our guests' well-being, and we're energized to assist
as partners in helping them maintain control and soaring above it
all while on the road. Everything we do is designed to help guests
be at their best, and they appreciate our supportive attitude,
anticipatory service and extensive knowledge on how to best assist
them throughout their stay. We are looking for dynamic people who
are excited to join the team and ready to jump into any situation
to give a helping hand. If you're someone who has is positive,
adaptable and intuitive, and has a genuine interest in the
well-being of others around you, we invite you to discover how at
Westin, together we can rise.
Accountable for overall success of the daily kitchen operations.
Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while
leading the staff and managing all food related functions. Works to
continually improve guest and employee satisfaction while
maintaining the operating budget. Supervises all kitchen areas to
ensure a consistent, high quality product is produced. Responsible
for guiding and developing staff including direct reports. Must
ensure sanitation and food standards are achieved.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in the culinary,
food and beverage, or related professional area.
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts,
Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years
experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met
- Manages kitchen shift operations and ensures compliance with
all Food & Beverage policies, standards and procedures.
- Estimates daily production needs on a weekly basis and
communicates production needs to kitchen personnel daily.
- Assists Executive Chef with all kitchen operations and
- Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular
basis or for special guests or functions.
- Develops, designs, or creates new applications, ideas,
relationships, systems, or products, including artistic
- Assists in determining how food should be presented and creates
decorative food displays.
- Maintains purchasing, receiving and food storage
- Ensures compliance with food handling and sanitation
- Performs all duties of kitchen managers and employees as
- Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and
- Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food
- Operates and maintains all department equipment and reports
- Checks the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure
that standards are met.
Leading Kitchen Operations
- Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers
engaged in food preparation.
- Leads shifts while personally preparing food items and
executing requests based on required specifications.
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead,
influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business
decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation
among team members.
- Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate
- Maintains the productivity level of employees.
- Ensures employees understand expectations and parameters.
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships
with employees and ensures employees do the same within the
- Ensures property policies are administered fairly and
- Communicates performance expectations in accordance with job
descriptions for each position.
- Recognizes success performance and produces desired
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
- Provides services that are above and beyond for customer
satisfaction and retention.
- Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards
and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily
- Sets a positive example for guest relations.
- Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and
- Handles guest problems and complaints.
Maintaining Culinary Goals
- Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals, budget
goals, team goals, etc.
- Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and
accomplish your work.
- Utilizes the Labor Management System to effectively schedule to
business demands and for tracking of employee time and
- Trains employees in safety procedures.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
- Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching,
mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge
- Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to
understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and
individual coaching when needed.
- Participates in the employee performance appraisal process,
providing feedback as needed.
- Brings issues to the attention of the department manager and
Human Resources as necessary.
- Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and
subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in
- Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best
solution and solve problems.
- Attends and participates in all pertinent meetings.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We
believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive,
people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any
protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any
other basis covered under applicable law.
Keywords: Marriott International, Maui , Sous Chef, Other , Lahaina, Hawaii
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!