Laboratory Assistant - North Hawaii Patient Service Centers - Temporary
Company: Sonic Healthcare USA
Posted on: June 10, 2021
Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position
The Laboratory Assistant (LA) performs tasks to support the
laboratory technical staff in the areas of specimen procurement,
specimen processing and some basic lab testing. The position is
required to float between multiple locations on various shifts,
often with little notice. Must have excellent ability to interact
and interface with a wide range of colleagues, patients and
- High School Diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent required
- Minimum two-years experience of proven successful Lab Assistant
experience, preferably with Company
- Understanding of medical terminology preferred
- Computer data entry experience required
- Excellent track record working with physician office staff,
physicians, colleagues and patients
- 1+ years of customer service experience preferred
- Able and authorized to work in the United States
- Reliable, dependable, and flexible to work at our various
locations at different times with very little notice
- For hospital settings, additional requirements may apply and
change without notice, including, but not limited to, criminal
background check, health clearance and hospital compliance
- Successfully pass Company pre-employment drug test and periodic
and random thereafter
- Demonstrated and proven ability/experience in accomplishments
in all of our five core values:
Under general supervision and in accordance with Company
policies, procedures and guidelines, this position:
- Identifies patients with accuracy to perform venipunctures,
heelsticks, and fingersticks with proficiency without
- Labels specimens accurately and distributes them to the
appropriate department to ensure specimen integrity.
- Accessions specimens accurately into the LIS system using
prescribed laboratory guidelines.
- Processes specimens and prepares them for testing utilizing
various types of lab equipment.
- Track all specimen samples in LIS system for inventory purposes
- Maintains phlebotomy area and equipment with ample supplies and
in a clean and safe condition.
- Maintains adequate level of supplies in the processing work
area, where applicable.
- Assists in the care and maintenance of lab work area,
furnishings and equipment.
- Troubleshoots missing samples inquiries from other CLH
facilities or physician offices.
- Follows test requirements of reference laboratory and procures
appropriate specimen for testing.
- Assists in disposing of all laboratory wastes following OSHA
and lab guidelines.
- May operate lab autoclave to render hazardous materials
- May act as backup receptionist or courier.
- May be instructed to independently maintain operations at a
satellite phlebotomy station/patient service center (PSC)
- May perform weekly inventory at site and place order with the
- May receive requested stock items and distribute them to the
appropriate place as requested
- May perform limited testing (i.e., fingersticks, bleeding
times, and sweat tests)
- May perform toxicology (i.e., urine drug) collections and
breath alcohol testing, per DOT guidelines
- May pack and prepare dangerous goods shipment items to outer
island and/or mainland.
- May be assigned to work at multiple locations on various shifts
- Adheres to safety, confidentiality, compliance, and legal
requirements and guidelines
- Maintains consistent and reliable attendance and complies with
company guidelines on attendance
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Occasional carrying, pushing, and pulling of objects; and
lifting of up to 25 lbs may be required
- Frequent reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching.
- Must be able to hear, see, and respond adequately.
- Frequent prolonged standing, walking, sitting, and bending
- Use of hands and fingers.
- Air-conditioned laboratory environment
- Frequent exposure to video display terminals.
- Frequent contact with water (hand washing and cleaning),
bio-hazardous body fluids, and occasional hazardous chemicals.
- Sufficient noise and interruptions to cause distraction.
- May be asked to work extended hours.
- Perceive pertinent details and verbal or tabular material
- Ability to see things from the customer's/patient's point of
view and respond in a timely appropriate and courteous manner
- Handle emergency or crisis situations with calmness and
- Ability to work effectively with others and promotes positive
- Perform arithmetic operations quickly and accurately
- Understand meaning of words, ideas associated with them and
their effective use
- Understand instructions, reason, and make judgments
- Effective oral and written communication skills, excellent
organizational and interpersonal skills, and computer literacy
- CUSTOMER-FOCUSED: Aware of customer needs; makes decisions with
customer in mind; builds strong customer relationships.
- COMMUNICATOR: Proactively conveys a clear, convincing, and
timely message; possesses strong verbal, written, and presentation
- PROBLEM SOLVER: Uses data and logic to quickly find solutions
to difficult challenges.
- COLLABORATIVE: Works effectively with others to accomplish
- TECHNICALLY COMPETENT: Possesses and maintains the functional
and technical knowledge and skills to successfully perform
- QUALITY CONSCIOUS: Delivers accuracy and precision in work
products; mindful of technical requirements, rules, and
- TIME-WISE: Prioritizes; respects others' time; adheres to
schedules and agendas.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Clinical Laboratories of Hawaii, LLP
Mon-Fri w/rotating weekends
Sonic Healthcare USA provides equal employment opportunities to
all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits
discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race,
color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status,
genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by
federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment,
including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination,
layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and
Keywords: Sonic Healthcare USA, Maui , Laboratory Assistant - North Hawaii Patient Service Centers - Temporary, Other , Kamuela, Hawaii
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!