Charge Nurse - ER (Big Island)
Company: Queen's Health System
Posted on: June 19, 2022
Scope of Service
The North Hawaii Community Emergency Department (ED) is a 6-bed,
unit that provides comprehensive emergency medical and nursing
services 24 hours a day for patients of all ages. The NHCH
Emergency Department is a Level III Trauma Center for the Northern
Region of the Island of Hawaii and is affiliated with the Queens
Health System. North Hawaii Community Hospital has access to a
tertiary facility for a higher level of care via medivac.
A trauma team is available 24 hrs/day, seven-days-a-week, and may
be activated by the ER Attending on Duty. Additionally, Stroke Code
protocol may be activated on patients meeting the stroke criteria
via tele-medicine, as well as Code STEMI for acute coronary
Adults constitute 93% of patients seen @ NHCH. The remaining 7% of
the patients are under the age of 18. The top 10 chief complaints
include abdominal pain, shortness of breath, chest pain, falls,
psychiatric problems, cold symptoms, MVAs, multiple trauma,
headache and weakness.
I. JOB SUMMARY/RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the Nurse Manager/Manager, assumes
responsibility for coordinating patient care activities during
Delegates and adjusts nursing care assignments for patient care
populations based on patient care needs and available staff.
Assures patient care is delivered based on the ANA Standards of
Demonstrates effective communication techniques, care behaviors,
and organizational leadership skills.
II. TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Continuous: lifting up to lb., seeing, hearing, talking, grasping,
Frequent to continuous: standing, walking, stooping, forward
reaching, handling, pushing and pulling up to 30 lbs. of force,
lifting up to 10 lbs., sitting, bending.
Occasional to frequent: squatting, twisting.
Occasional: pushing and pulling up to maximum 35 lbs. of force;
lifting: horizontal lift/carry up to maximum 50 lbs., floor to
waist up to maximum 35 lbs., waist to shoulder up to 25 lbs.,
overhead level up to 15 lbs.; running, climbing of stairs, side
bending, kneeling, crouching, overhead reaching.
Operates various machines/tools/work aids.
III. TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Not substantially subjected to adverse environmental
Exposure to body fluids, blood products, and communicable
Work environment may be highly stressful, fast paced and
Management of confused/disoriented and combative patients may
involve tasks which may compromise physical safety.
Required Personal Protective Equipment: Eye protection; gown; mask;
face protection; non-sterile/sterile medical gloves
IV. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
A. EDUCATION/CERTIFICATION AND LICENSURE:
Hawaii State licensure as a Registered Nurse.
Diploma or Associate Degree in Nursing;
BSN highly preferred.
Current certification at BLS/HCP level. Additional certifications
may be required based on area of assignment.
Two (2) years acute care experience.
Prior Charge Nurse experience.
C. ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE:
Experience to demonstrate exemplary knowledge, skills, and
abilities in carrying out registered nurse duties and
responsibilities, along with an exceptional attendance record.
Ability to communicate and problem solve effectively with patients,
nursing staff, physicians and other medical staff.
Leadership and decision making skills that demonstrate the ability
to: provide effective patient care; serve as a resource to nursing
staff; maintain adherence to applicable statutes, rules,
regulations, policies, and procedures.
Educational background that demonstrates an ongoing effort to
maintain and improve ones clinical competency as a registered
nurse; and, work experience that reflects an increasing level of
responsibility over time, or the potential for handling an
increased level of responsibility.
Additional Requirements for Experienced RN:
A. EDUCATION/CERTIFICATION AND LICENSURE:
ACLS and PALS certification.
TNCC certification to be obtained within 6 months of hire/transfer
At least 12 months of Emergency RN experience in the last 3
ICU experience preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Vet
PandoLogic. Keywords: Charge Nurse, Location: Waimea, HI -
Keywords: Queen's Health System, Maui , Charge Nurse - ER (Big Island), Other , Waimea, Hawaii
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!